Join in for a webinar introducing CMQCC’s upcoming quality improvement toolkit: “Improving Health Care Response to Obstetric Hemorrhage.”
Formerly published in 2010 and 2015 together with the California Department of Public Health, this is the third update to the Hemorrhage Toolkit to incorporate the latest evidence and best practices.
The toolkit was developed to assist obstetrical providers, clinical staff, hospitals and healthcare organizations with timely recognition and response to hemorrhage. Obstetric hemorrhage remains a leading and preventable cause of maternal mortality and severe maternal morbidity, a life-threatening complication during pregnancy.
Throughout the revised toolkit, we have included resources to address inequities in quality of care and shared the voices of women and their lived experiences with hemorrhage. Management guidelines are in alignment with the 2021 Joint Commission Standards for Maternal Safety and National Partnership for Maternal Safety Hemorrhage Bundle.
Key changes in the third version of the toolkit include:
- Expanded guidance on obstetric hemorrhage risk factor assessment to include parameters for continued re-evaluation of risk and an updated Obstetric Hemorrhage Risk Screen Table
- Increased emphasis on the importance of assessment for concealed hemorrhage
- Updated medication protocols and recommendations on the use of tranexamic acid (TXA) as an adjunctive therapy
- Multiple new chapters, including:
- Management of Iron Deficiency Anemia
- Secondary Obstetric Hemorrhage and Readmission
- Implementing and Sustaining Maternal Quality, Safety and Performance Improvement for Obstetric Hemorrhage
Please print the attached flyer for in-hospital posting.