The National Clinician Consultation Center operates a warmline providing free, confidential clinician-to-clinician consultation on substance use evaluation and management. Their team includes expert physicians, pharmacists, and advanced practice nurses with considerable experience managing substance use disorder. No protected health information is collected during consultations. See flyer for more details.
SUBSTANCE USE WARMLINE
9 am – 8 pm ET (Mon – Fri)
Submit cases online at:
Consultants provide clinicians with evidence-based guidance on a range of topics, including:
• Assessing and treating opioid, alcohol, and other substance use disorders
• When and how to initiate medications for opioid use disorder
• Toxicology testing: when to use it and what it means
• Identifying and managing withdrawal
• Approaches to adjust opioid-based pain regimens to reduce risk of misuse and harm
• Harm reduction and overdose prevention strategies
• Discuss useful communication and care strategies to support patients living with, or at risk for, substance use disorders
• Substance use in special populations (pregnancy, kidney/liver disease, HIV and viral hepatitis, co-morbid opioid use disorder and pain)
Learn more about the National Clinician Consultation Center at http://nccc.ucsf.edu.